Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dirty Word of the Day: DIET

So with the wedding less than five months away there are a lot of things to think about. I found the dress I've always dreamed of and ordered it. It fits perfectly...for now. I recently realized that it is a lot of pressure to stay the same size for 5 months, despite my dad's insistency that I haven't changed sizes since I was 12. But I think it will be tougher than that. Especially when there are so many things to stress over in the coming weeks. 

After reading my sister's blog (www.beingcarly.com), I realized that I didn't want to wait until the last minute to try to lose weight to fit into my dress. So I downloaded a new app on my handy dandy iPhone called 'Lose It!'.  Sounds like it will fit my needs. So I set it up with my information, height, weight, BMI, etc. Well the thing tells my I need to eat less than 1,300 calories a day. 

So I started documenting everything I ate and counting out my calories. Yeah 1,300 calories in a day is a LOT less than I thought it was. Day 1 I squeezed by by the skin of my teeth. I think I was 9 calories under goal. The next day, I was 200 calories under goal by 7 pm. I thought I was doing great..till I remembered it was girls night. Oops. 

So two GIANT pieces of The Pie pepperoni pizza and 3 cheesy pull-aparts later, I think I had reached my calorie intake for the entire week. The next few days, I did ok. Barely made it under goal. By the weekend I was pretty proud. Yeah about that....I went to Wendover. You can't diet on vacation. I'm pretty sure it's a law. So I let go of my diet and ate and drank what I wanted for two 
straight days. By Monday I was ready to go back to my diet. I was determined. I had some Kashi cereal with soy milk for breakfast, a Slim-Fast for a mid morning snack, Lean Cuisine for lunch, and John made salmon and steamed broccoli for dinner. I felt pretty good. 

Actually, let me reiterate. I felt pretty good about the diet. But I personally, felt like crap. All I could think about all day was food. 

"When am I gonna eat next? Shit. 4 hours. What did I bring for lunch? Bah. Lean Cuisine. I'm gonna walk away from that hungrier than I am now. Do I have any snacks? I think there's a dollar in change in my drawer and a vending machine in the break room. Hmm...maybe if i at least walk to the back break room, it will burn off the calories I'll accumulate by eating  Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Oh c'mon Stevie, you know that doesn't add up. Ah screw it, where're those quarters?"

Not only was I totally distracted by my lack of food intake, I was completely impossible to be around. John and I have noticed that when I don't eat, I turn into the meanest person in the world. Be it some sort of hypoglycemia or whatever, it's not a pretty picture. And I had been like this the last week. 

Poor Johnboy. 

So after snapping at my co-worker for the 6th time in an hour he finally asked "hey how's your diet going?" Apparently John is not the only one that notices that I get ornery when I don't eat. I apologized for snapping at him and decided there are more important things than dieting right now. It's not like I need to lose a ton of weight or anything, I just need to maintain my weight. Which I can focus on in a couple of months. I think being a little nicer to the people in my life is worth the money I may inevitably spend on alterations to let out my dress. 

So officially, my big 'Thumbs Up!' to dieting has turned into me sitting on this couch with my computer with a pack of Reese's from the freezer in one hand and a bowl of popcorn on the coffee table. Life is too short for diets. At least until June. Possibly July.  

No comments: