Monday, March 30, 2009

It's snowing again.

I wonder why I am surprised every year when snow dumps on me in March. I guess in my mind, Spring means pretty flowers and grass and maybe some rain here or there. But, alas, as I stare out at the four inches of snow that fell on my porch yesterday, I realize that my perceptions of Spring were off. Luckily, the good weather Gods did appear at a very good time over the weekend. 

Had it started snowing on Saturday instead of Sunday, I would have been devastated. I would have missed out on the Festival of Colors! Every year, there is a festival to celebrate the coming of Spring. It is held at the Hindu Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork, Utah. To welcome the coming of the new season, the Hindu's celebrate with dancing, singing, music and colors. So we went and watched some awesome performances by Hindu dance groups, and then bought some bags of very fine colored chalk, and threw them at people. 

It was sooo much fun! They burned an effigy, then everyone chanted "Hare Krishna! Hare Krishna! Hare Hare! Hare Rama! Hare Rama! Krisha Krishna! Hare Hare!" Then everyone threw their bags of chalk up in the air and at their neighbors and everyone was dusted with very traditional Indian colors. You couldn't even recognize people, and what was more, you couldn't really tell the color of anyone's skin or clothes. That was part of the celebration apparently. 


The festival lasted a few hours but John, Jim, Candice and I had to leave a little early to get to a birthday dinner. Though, the birthday girl was at the celebration too so we couldn't really get there too much later than her for her own dinner. So we made the trek back to our car and started to drive home. To our surprise, there were people walking two and three MILES back to their cars from the Temple. We had no idea how popular this festival was. It was a pretty fun mix of people though. It was basically a mix of Hindus, hippies and Mormons. And us. 
So we drove back to Salt Lake, we hurried and showered and I soon found out that colored chalk sticks to highlights. Awesome. I didn't have time to observe the damage, I pulled my hair up in a hat and we were off. We went to dinner and then to get some drinks at the Bongo and then headed home. We were all tired from the sun and still digging chalk out of our ears so we called it a night. I woke up the next morning with mounds of snow on my patio and a small hole in my heart that was put there by the idea of said snow. We decided to call it a day in and had my sister come over to held address graduation announcements for John. 

I washed my hair three times in an attempt to get the glowing pink out of it but to no avail. So now I am sitting on my couch, ready to head to work and have to explain to every person that asks if I colored my hair that it was from chalk from a Festival of Colors. Maybe I will just make something else up to tell them. Something X-Men-ish. Yes. 

No comments: